Sunday, March 15, 2009

Growing up with Delbert


My sister Ruby, married Delbert Johnson , I can't remember when,he has just always been around in my life. I guess,it all really started when we all moved to the righter farm in 1953. From the time he held me by my feet and lowered me into a 55gallon drum with a little axle grease in the bottom and a lot on the sides, the war was on! I had to hold very still to keep from getting the crap on me;all the time listening to him laugh. Or was it the many times he and the others would come by the house in the afternoon to see if I wanted to go to the country store for a coke ! He would stop and call for me, then just as I got close to the truck he would drive off ,just out of reach. This was repeated over and over until I cried and cussed him at which time he would continue, then let me go. After all, a trip to the store was a big deal out in those dusty country fields. He wasn't all prankster though, he was the best horse shoe player around,unless my brother Charles came from Memphis to play. He could consistently put 2 shoes ,one on top of the other, and throw double ringers. That,I never saw anyone else do. There is much more to this story,but My 2 fingers are gettin tired,so this is to be continued......

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Delbert is the only man that I have ever known who could keep a smoking cigarette in his lips and chew a hamburger at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene, I don't know how he ever quit smoking!!!

    ReplyDelete