Monday, March 16, 2009

"Turkey day shoot out!"


When I started playing football in Junior High at Marianna, I was in the eighth grade and was one of the largest boys on the team. My cousin, Paul, was a nineth grader and played Right Tackle, so I decided to play Left Tackle. The Left Tackle is considered to be the most important position on theOffensive line, because he had to protect the Quarterback's blind side when he went back to pass, because if he was right handed, as most Quarterbacks are, he couldn't see the defensive man coming up on his rear. It was the Left tackle's duty to either knock the man down or devert him away from the Quarterback to give him time to pass the ball. So when the lineups were announced over the loud speakers, it was always: "Key and Key at tackles." Paul, who was Uncle Chester's son, and I grew up together .....Paul was a few months older than I was and we started to school the same year, but I was held back in the first grade, so that put me a year behind him in school. I only played that one year with Paul at Marianna before moving to Helena.
Helena and Marianna were bitter rivals and always played on Thankgiving Day, so Paul & I faced off for two straight years. With me playing on the left and him on the right side of the lines.......We faced each other Head On! These were fun games for both Paul and I because of the closeness we had for each other and our Dads in the stands, each betting on their sons and who would win the fifth of whiskey each year. My team won both years.

No comments:

Post a Comment