Friday, March 20, 2009

My Daddy's Montgomery Ward shotgun!


Sometime in '53 ,or so , When I was 9 or 10 yrs old, Dad bought a Monkey Ward 12 gauge shotgun to hunt rabbits and other varmits with along with the other guys at the righter farm. A favorite ritual in the winter or spring was to burn the ditches or turnrows and shoot rabbits as they ran for their live. As you can imagine there was a lot of shooting and the little 12 gauge was pretty light,resulting in a big kick. Dad came home one day, all bruised up on his shoulder, and in a bad mood. He told me I could Have the D___ gun because he hated it. The next day I shot the gun ,[any gun ], for the first time. As I braced for the impact, while aiming at a tin can, I wasn't ready for what happened next. I was knocked back and the gun went up in the air and it hurt like heck and I had to grab it before it hit the ground,[to save face] and did. I used that gun for years hunting rabbits,doves,squirrels and ducks, before I got my first Remmington Automatic. I still have that old gun in my gun case. I reblued the metal several years ago and it still looks good ,but I know it would still kick good. But it seems so much smaller now than back then,but I guess that's relative. Maybe Zachary will be the next owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment