Monday, March 16, 2009

My Brother the All-Star!


My brother Jerry was always a All-Star in many ways and sports. He was always a Go-Getter regardless of his size, he was always determined to be the best. In football he excelled as a long snapper, something that I tried, but could never master. My coaches tried me one year in spring practice at center and I didn't find the position to my liking, but I took the instructions on snapping home and showed them to my little brother, Jerry. He started snapping the ball and by the time football season came around, He was the starting center on the junior high team and making all the long snaps for punts, extra points, and field goals. He got plenty of practice, because he played with three of the most famous athletes to come out of Helena Central. Billy Gray, Ken Hatfield, and Kay Kaiser King, all made All-State in high school and signed with the University of Arkansas. Jerry played with them in junior high and one year in High school before moving to Marianna for his Junior and Senior years. When Jerry played with them in junior high, they were undefeated 3 years and scored a lot of points, which meant that Jerry got a lot of experience snapping the ball. Some more good experience he got was catching the ball. When we were at home, I threw the football to him almost everyday....when he went out for a pass, he had to run across plowed ground and jump tilled cotton rows to catch the ball. He took a many tumble and fall trying to catch the passes and missed a lot until he was catching most anything that was thrown to him.
After moving back to Marianna, he became wide receiver and scored many a touchdown. After all of these, he had to deep snap for the extra points.
After Jerry grew up, he and Mary Ann had three sons and every one of them learn to deep snap the football.

No comments:

Post a Comment