Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The night the crazy lady came calling!


This is another story that happened in our family that is really true. I was about 12 years old and we lived about 3 miles south of Marianna, Arkansas. I remember being awaken around 3:oo a.m. with loud noise and voices coming from the front room of our house. Dad had answered the front door and our next door neighbor was telling my dad to call the Sheriff's Department. She said that a black lady had come into their house and had picked up her baby out of it's bed and was rocking it when they woke up. They had left a night light on and hadn't locked their doors. (No one in the country locked their doors at night) She and her husband had jumped out of bed, grabbed the baby from the lady and ran out of the house and came over to our house, which was about 100 yards away. There was a pasture and 3 fences between our houses. They had come down the road to get to our house and had left the lady still in the house. When dad had turned the light on to call the Sheriff, the lady saw the light and started hollering..." I see you Mr. Brittan and I'm a coming". This really excited our neighbor lady and she started crying "She's a coming!"
Dad went outside and I followed him with our old shotgun (without any hammers) to stop the lady before she got to the house. She had crawled over 2 fences and was starting over the 3rd fence into our yard when he stopped her. He reached down and picked up a piece of cardboard paper and held it up and she stopped. He got her to go over and sat in a old lawn chair until the Sheriff got there. She kept calling dad "Mr. Brittan" and asked what I was doing with that shotgum and dad told me to take it back into the house. He told her that she had scared everyone and that I had got the gun to scare her. She started laughing and said...." Oh, Mr. Brittan, you know I wouldn't scare you!"

The Sheriff arrived a little later and took her into town. It seems that she had started talking out of her head and her family had tied her up....not knowing what to do with her and she gotten loose and was looking for a Mr. Brittan that she use to work for years before.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Family,
    I posted WWII I thought, it is out there in never never land. I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete